Company Glüsing Pictures
The history of the Glüsing company in Cuxhaven
On May 1, 1936, Anita and Walter Glüsing founded their company "Walter Glüsing, equipment and technical trade" in Cuxhaven in a stable in the Fahrenholzstrasse.
But in 1939, with the beginning of the Second World War, Walter Glüsing was drafted into the “Wehrmacht”. After ten years, in 1949, did he return from Yugoslav captivity.Meanwhile, Anita Glüsing starts the business alone with two young children. Shortly after Walter Glüsing's return, things continued at full steam, planning was started again and the company grow up.
The first step was towards fuel supply and tanker shipping. The bunker station at the "Alten Hafen" was taken over and the first tanker "BP Olex 29" was stationed in Cuxhaven.
The tanks and the bunker station was modernized and in 1954 the company headquarters and shop were relocated to the “Alten Hafen”. In 1965 the Glüsing company build the first tanker, the "ANITA", by Scheel & Jöhnck in Hamburg/Harburg. The ship is still in use today and is the only ship in the company that bears the name »WALTER GLÜSING« on the wheelhouse.
Walter Glüsing continued his planning to grow up the company. In mid-1970 the business areas, marine equipment and mineral oil trading / transport, were split into two new companies. Captain Reimer Glüsing took over the command of the mineral oil and the shipping company from his father, Franz Milde, who had been with the company since 1948, became an authorized signatory.
In the mid-1970s, Reimer Glüsing bought the tanker "EBBA" (ex "EMSTANK 14") from the bankruptcy estate of Schulte & Bruhns, and from 1980-1986 built three tankers at the Lühring shipyard in Brake, the "MERLE" the "GUDRUN" and the "HEIDE".
By taking over several mineral oil companies next to Cuxhaven and Bremerhaven, the tank storage capacity was increased, the mineral oil business expanded to Bremerhaven and the tanker fleet expanded.
At the beginning of the 1990s, the founders 'grandchildren, Ebba and Arne Glüsing, entered their parents' business and a new office building was built. The company's founders died in 1992 and 1994. We owe a lot to them.
The Mützelfeldtwerft Cuxhaven received the order to rebuild the combined oil and chemical tanker "FINJA". This was completed in 2000 in Constanza, Romania. Five years later, the ship was converted into a double-hulled tanker at the Mützelfeldtwerft in Cuxhaven. At the same time, in 2005 the shipyard delivered the new double-hull tank construction "JANA". In May 2011, just in time for the 75th anniversary, the new double-hull tanker "EBBA 2" was put into service.
Today the shipping company operates nine modern tankers. All ships of the Glüsing shipping group meet the highest safety standards, which are subject to the rules and regulations of the classification societies, the German flag and the oil majors. Five tankers supply Cuxhaven and the surrounding area as well as Bremerhaven with heating oil and diesel fuel.
Meanwhile, the shipping group, Glüsing Transport GmbH and Cuxhavener Mineralöl GmbH are managed by Mr. Arne Glüsing, supported by a dynamic team in the office, together with the experienced staff on land and at sea.